Dorothy Cresswell, Helen Fortier, and Katie Tolles - Offering the magic of singing together
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Strong Women: Andrea Zucker
Offering the Magic of Singing Together
Be Strong, Be Kind!
A New Name!
I'm Gonna Be With You

Most Popular Posts

Next Happy Valley Children's Chorus Performance!
I stand all amazed!
Free to Follow My Joy
Curious Songs for Curious Kids new CD!
School begins without me!

Categories

Announcements
Helen's Posts
Messages from nature
singing
Strike a Chord Music!
The Magic of Singing Together
powered by

Dorothy's Blog

School begins without me!

Well, it's been a whole summer since my last day of school, and I still can't sleep in.  I'm still waking up right around 6 AM. So, when I woke up today, I was immediately aware that school would be starting without me.  It was okay, but I did wish I could sleep in! So I said a prayer for all the teachers and then all the students.  That the teachers would get to know, and then get to like, and then get to love all of their students.  Then I prayed for the students, that every one of them would feel welcomed and wanted and included.  That they would feel okay about what they know and what they don't know YET.  That they would go home having felt a connection with the teacher and with at least one peer.  Ahhh, my heart is still in the process I guess.

Yesterday, in a nostalgic way, I re-read the wonderful book that the parents had made for me when I retired.  Twenty five years of class photos and activities, twenty five years of students and parents, many of whom wrote letters and memories of their time in my class.  What came out again and again and again were memories of the songs.

"{My daughter} was in the talent show. She dressed up as Pocahontas and sang "Colors of the Wind." Dorothy played guitar and really helped her through the performance. It was awesome!"

"One of the songs, Barges, stayed with me for years, and I would quietly sing it whenever I felt sad or when it was raining or if I was bored in the car."

"I remember learning the song "Black Socks" and singing with the class as Dorothy played her guitar."

"I really liked singing all the old hippies songs like "Leaving On a Jet Plane" and the "Pebble Song."

"I always remember all the songs we sang: "Take Me Home Country Roads," and so many others. I love singing and still sing, a lot."

"I loved all the singing that we did. We sang folk songs, a donkey song in Spanish that we did at our own talent show...and of course the "Buffalo Song."

"I really liked singing in the chorus and learning sign language."

"I remember when our class did the musical, "Make Way for Ducklings" and I played Mack. ..I still know all the words to the Compost Song!! (And I will always remember that even my bicycle may be recyclable!)"

"{My daughter} still remembers all of the words to "Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue" song."

"Dorothy helped a class full of "first-day-in-school" kids feel better by teaching us "The Butterfly Song."

"I learned many songs, and how to be kind. I met all the friends that I have now."

"There was one chant that I remember doing, usually before nap time.  I didn't like nap time or this chant (probably because it was meant to calm us down). I ended up liking this chant because of the way Dorothy taught it to us.
"
"My favorite song was "May We All Fly Like Eagles."

"I love singing songs with her on guitar. It's the awesome part."

So, the children have spoken.  They remember the songs and the joy of singing together.  That is my inspiration as I choose how to use my retirement.  As one of my favorite songwriter's, Helen Fortier, says, "And I will keep on singing, keep on singing, with a grateful heart, with a grateful heart!"

10 Comments to School begins without me!:

Comments RSS
marilyn on Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:06 AM
ahh - the wonderful memories that we will always carry in our heart!
Reply to comment

http://bonus-2014.blogspot.com/ on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:30 PM
Very nice site
Reply to comment

Rolex Replica on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:13 AM
"There was one chant that I remember doing, usually before nap time. I didn't like nap time or this chant (probably because it was meant to calm us down). I ended up liking this chant because of the way Dorothy taught it to us.
Reply to comment

reviews on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:23 AM
I like the blog Its has nice information Its really effective and very nice, i hope this information will help everyone.
Reply to comment

karriere navigator on Monday, May 05, 2014 12:22 AM
I do not think I've read a single thing like this before. So good to find somebody with a few genuine thoughts on this subject. Really.. many thanks for starting this up!!!!
Reply to comment

title loans jackson-MS on Friday, November 07, 2014 7:15 PM
A day improve money credit will be a transient unprotected money upgrade that is in a position to utilize your postdated check as security. it's aforementioned as daily improves money credit on the grounds that you {just} just usually conceive to get access to easily enough to urge you to your next earnings once the responsibleness and expense act is anticipated.
Reply to comment

bridal gowns on Friday, November 14, 2014 2:02 AM
With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement My website has a lot of unique content Ive either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization Do you know any techniques to help prevent content from being stolen Id certainly appreciate it
Reply to comment

fake chanel on Thursday, December 25, 2014 2:25 AM
As opposed to some other trend layout properties that have modified their particular carrier types to be able to interest the particular momentary elaborate calls for regarding trend styles, the particular Vintage Chanel a couple of.
Reply to comment

cash advances on Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:06 AM
The capitalist usually holds the written check for a stipulated term, usually amount. once the term involves degree finish, the capitalist debits the borrowers checking account or cashes the check. This helps to repay the loan, pay the interest and settle the lender's fee. it is a necessity to create positive you've got tight funds in your account.
Reply to comment

car title loans newport_news on Sunday, February 08, 2015 4:08 PM
Be multitudinous fuel economical on the foremost road- Maintaining associate everyday speed whereas on the route may even be Associate in Nursing honest as a results of avoid wasting profit gas. If you're at intervals the position to use management, you'll have a infinite sturdy time staying at identical speed. (On a side note- management will facilitate forestall you from going over the regulation.)
Reply to comment